- Approaching your home, be aware of pedestrians and vehicles. Are there persons you don't know or vehicles that you don't recognize? If so, record their descriptions and drive on. Don't just pull in and park.
- "Follow home" robbery victims are targeted long before they arrive home. Be mindful of cash and large purchases while shopping. Watch for vehicles following you and making repeated turns behind you. If you feel you are being followed, drive to a busy, open location or the local police station. Keep your doors locked and call the police.
- While home, don't just open the door to a knock or bell! Ask who is at the door. If you have not scheduled an appointment, verify a service worker with a phone call before opening the door. Look for a legitimate uniform and service/delivery vehicle.
- Keep your home secure. Lock your doors and windows!
- Maintain your exterior lighting.
- When you leave your home, look around. Don't just walk away or drive off. Again, if you seen anyone or anything suspicious, call the police.
- See our previous post on "Being Safe at Home" for additional tips.
There is no perfect answer to crime prevention. However, your best defense is a proactive offense and being aware of what is happening around you at all times. Awareness and avoidance will certainly aide in your personal and family safety.