Saturday, December 26th, is the day after Christmas and the traditional Opening Day at Santa Anita Race Track. The streets of Arcadia will be crowded with race fans and shoppers throughout the day on Saturday. The gates at Santa Anita open at 9:30 AM and the first post is at 11:30 AM. Below are a few tips to help avoid the rush on Saturday;
- Avoid traveling on Huntington Drive or Baldwin Avenue between 10:00 AM -12:00 PM and later in the day between 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM due to race traffic.
- Colorado Place will be closed to southbound traffic at Colorado Street between 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM.
- Off ramps on the IS 210 freeway at Huntington Drive, Santa Anita Avenue, and Baldwin Avenue will be congested all day on Saturday. Consider using Michillinda Avenue and Myrtle.
- Baldwin Avenue will have heavy traffic all day long in the area of the Westfield Shoppingtown. Unless traveling to the mall or track, avoid this area.
- Alternate routes for travel through Arcadia may include Foothill Boulevard, Duarte Road, Camino Real, or Longden Avenues, and Santa Anita Avenue, Michillinda Avenue, Holly Avenue, or Second Avenue.
- Leave early and allow extra time for travel on Saturday. It will be a busy day in town and traffic will be frustrating. Stay calm and share the road. Get to your destination safely.