School has been back in session for some time now and although traffic has settled down from the first few weeks, there is certainly no shortage of violations near the schools. Some of the most common complaints and requests for service are related to parking violations. In the rush to drop off a child, it is not uncommon to find parents double parking, stopping in a lane of traffic to drop off or pick up a child, parking/stopping in a red zone, parking well away from the curb because "the trash can" was in the way, blocking or impeding a resident's driveway...you name it, we see it.
Here are a few suggestions to help alleviate the congestion and avoid a parking or moving citation:
- Leave a few minutes earlier and avoid the rush.
- Park a little further away and walk your child to school.
- Obey all parking regulations.
- Follow the school's traffic plan.
- Be patient.
- Keep off the phone and pay attention.
- Set the example, don't encourage unsafe or illegal behavior.
- Be courteous to the neighbors. It is not OK to impede a driveway even if only for a few minutes.